You spend your hard-earned money on vehicles — vehicles you use to transport your family to sporting events, drive yourself to work, take your kids to school and so much more. Unfortunately, in 2019 alone, nearly three quarters of a million vehicles were stolen in the United States, costing vehicle owners more than $6 billion. More than 770 vehicles were reported stolen last year in Lexington County.
The month of July marks National Vehicle Theft Prevention Month. To help drivers keep their vehicles safe, we’re joining with the National Highway Traffics Safety Administration’s Vehicle Theft Prevention Campaign this month.
Vehicle theft is serious business. In the United States in 2019:
- Passenger cars made up more than 50% of all stolen motor vehicles.
- Only 56.1% of all stolen motor vehicles were recovered.
- Of all motor vehicles stolen, 74.5% were passenger vehicles.
- There were 721,885 motor vehicles stolen.
- A motor vehicle was stolen every 43.8 seconds.
As a driver, take these steps to keep your vehicle and belongings safe! Here are ways you can help prevent motor vehicle theft.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
- Put away your valuables.
- Do not leave your keys in your vehicle.
- Do not leave the area while your vehicle is running.