LEXINGTON, S.C. – A former detention officer at the Lexington County Detention Center has been charged for her alleged role in an assault-for-hire scheme last year.

Ingrid Yolanda Ortiz-Montero, 22, is charged with two counts of misconduct in office and one count of conspiracy, according to arrest warrants.

“Immediately after I became aware of allegations that Ortiz-Montero brought contraband into the detention center, I placed her on administrative leave and launched an internal review,” Lexington County Sheriff Jay Koon said. “Once I determined potential criminal activity took place, I called in the State Law Enforcement Division, as is standard procedure. We do that when a current or former employee is involved to ensure an unbiased and thorough investigation.”

After she was placed on administrative leave for the contraband investigation, Ortiz-Montero communicated with an inmate to discuss payment for the assault of another inmate, Koon said.

“In November 2019, Oritz-Montero offered to pay $100 for the assault,” Koon said. “She resigned from her position about two weeks later.”

Ortiz-Montero, a Cayce resident, was booked into the Lexington County Detention Center Saturday morning after SLED agents arrested her. She is expected to be released Saturday afternoon after meeting the conditions of her bond.